Lynx, cleans your…(yeah, I can’t say it)

One of the things my husband particularly enjoys about Australia is that he finds it a fairly liberal society. No one is talking at election time about gay marriage, abortion or things of that nature. Issues on the table are jobs, taxes, environment, ‘boat people‘ (illegal immigrants) and so on. Personal ethics are not publicly debated as profusely on the political platform here as they are in the USA.

He finds the culture here very free, unpretentious, a live-and-let-live kind of mentality that he enjoys. That said, they may be such a thing as being a little too liberal.

The latest example was presented to him recently on prime time TV during a major rugby match (free to air) by LYNX shower gel.

(Please if you are easily affected by sexual innuendo, do not watch this ad – I’m certainly not trying to offend anyone here, but if you think you can take it, this is an ad well worth seeing – if only for the discussion it will probably inspire within your household!)

Here’s the ad in its entirety:

So now you’ve watched the ad, what did you think? Would you be surprised if I told you that after a few weeks (yes, weeks) of airing, the ad was pulled due to complaints?

You probably wouldn’t be.

What would probably shock the hell out of you (as it did me) was the reason it was pulled.

First, let me tell you the advertising commission had a total of 150 complaints about this ad from a population of about 25 million people (another nod to our liberal society) and they were ‘taken very seriously’ by all accounts.

The advertisement was finally pulled on the grounds that it was ‘ageist’. That’s right, this ad’s biggest faux pas was that it discriminated against the elderly!

Other than this glaring act of discrimination, it was a perfectly acceptable ‘prime-time’ advertisement according to the advertising watchdog. (I’ve been laughing about this for weeks.) Here’s the best part – the statement they made about why the ad was being pulled:

The advertising watchdog has banned an ad for Unilever deodorant Lynx for demeaning older men – but was cleared of degrading both sexes, racism and bad language.

The part of the ad deemed unacceptable came at end, when an old man produced two deflated medicine balls and asks, ‘Can you help me with these saggy old balls? Nobody’s played with them for years.’

God bless Australia.

We may not be the smartest country, the largest country, the richest country, the most progressive country.

But if you ask me, we sure are the most entertaining country – the country that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever – and yet to us, we think we’re perfectly lucid and capable of making such mammoth judgement calls for the betterment of the self esteem of our aging population.

About these ads
Tagged , , , , , , ,

30 thoughts on “Lynx, cleans your…(yeah, I can’t say it)

1. Ah, how I’ve missed you! The more I read about your wonderful Australia, the more I want to live there myself. I actually asked my hubby a few weeks back.. “so, are you ready to pack it all up and move to Australia?”.. he was almost dead pan serious with a “yes”. So tired of all the crap here. Even my girls want to go to Australia. *sigh* I need to win the lottery..lol.

• A little late I know, but thanks for your comment Meg, you’re always such a breath of fresh air on the blog! Glad you enjoyed it, didnt know if it would offend many people or not, but had to post – it was just a great example of what you WOULDNT find on free to air in the US that you do here. Such different species, our countries! Hope you are well (and have won a lottery?)

2. Teresa Silverthorn says:

The commercial uses poor taste, whether it discriminates or not.

If you align with poor taste – I guess it wouldn’t bother you.

• Thanks for your comment Teresa. I loved reading everyones comments – positive or negative. It shows the diversity of people in the world and that can only be a good thing!

• Teresa Silverthorn says:

I’m not sure this type of diversity is a “good thing” as compared to diversity in art, culture, etc.

The media is destroying this planet – viewer by viewer. Psychologically, that is.

It’s aiding in dividing us – not uniting us.

3. I’ve never been to Autralia. I had a chance to go years ago, but I was dead broke. Should’ve gone in to debt for it, though… Some day.

That is possibly the funniest ad I have ever seen. I love the fact that they were concerned about hurting feelings, though. I think I’m moving to Australia.

Welcome back Karyn. You certainly returned in good form. Perhaps you’ve been using Lynx Shower Gel!

• You crack me up Elyse. So glad you enjoyed it. I love all my ‘blogger friends’ and didn’t want to offend anyone, but just had to post it. It was so unbelievable and showed so clearly the difference between ‘free to air’ in the US and here.

Worlds apart (literally and figuratively). Hope life is treating you well my friend. x

5. dorannrule says:

I think the ad is hilarious, and your observations about Australian advertising make for fascinating reading! :) LOL!

• So glad you enjoyed it Dor, hope you are well and have a wonderful holiday season with family and friends – when I get the chance Ive been checking your blog. Loved your photo montages of life over there!

6. Tina says:

I too am glad to see you back. Was beginning to wonder if that ankle injury had escalated! I suggest not paying attention to US politics for the time being. It’s going to get very, very ugly, I’m sorry to say.

• Thanks for missing me – Im really getting terrible at this blogging thing! Life just keeps getting in the way. Hopefully 2013 is a quieter year for our family, this year has been non-stop! Hope you are well and the political noise has quieted a little!

7. Yay, a new post. And a good one, too. Double bonus.

I want to live in Australia. I like what they’re not talking about in the political arena. And I’m tired of the side issues that distract people here. I’m moving down under.

I thought the commercial was funny, but went on too long, as my attention span has been trained on the 30-second US commercial.

Sounds like they used the age issue as a cover-up to take the ad off the air and not ruin their Aussy image of being liberal and free-minded – or humorous. At least the ad is straightforward and clear-cut. The ads here containing sexual themes are worse because they work on the subconscious and people don’t always realize it. (These ad execs are tricky.)

Glad to have you back blogging.

• Im sure your wondering whats gotten into me. No blogging, no visiting yours. Just life. This has been our busiest year by far and we’re looking forward to relaxing a little over the holidays and having a quieter 2013. (hopefully). I still meant to email you after you sent me the email address – about our little drama that got us here – I know you’d enjoy the story, and still it sits on my ‘to do list’. Ill get there!

I hope you are healthy my friend and doing well. If not before, I have 2 weeks off over the holidays and plan to sit and laze by the pool and visit the beach and catch up with all my wonderful blogging friends. x

8. Me says:

Hilarious! I love Australia! Thanks for sharing and glad to see you again!

9. Brilliant. The ad may have been pulled, but it will live on in Aussie history!

Karyn: Welcome back! I’ve missed you and your delicious humor. I thought this commercial was hysterical. When we lived in Israel, the commercials were similar to this–very Monty Pythonesque. They were a hoot. In fact, it gave me a laugh and I sure could use one in this crazy election season (I will be so glad when it is over). I know it has been a month since you posted this but I had been checking back to your site every now and then since June. Glad I struck gold this time. All the best, my friend!

• You write the best comments Eleanor! Glad you enjoyed our crazy advertising agencies here in Oz! I find it amusing the Israeli commercials had a similar feel – my husband is Jewish! Perhaps there is more reason than the obvious that we got together!

Im sure your glad the elections are over the the rhetoric has died down (a little) I still see a lot of stuff from my US Facebook friends on it (mostly those who were unhappy with the result of course) Glad you dropped by. Ill have a new post before Christmas ( I will, I will!) and will look forward to sitting down and seeing what I have missed in your world! x

11. coastalcrone says:

Very funny! Thanks for sharing Australian humor.

Karyn: Hope all is well. Miss your intelligent, Australian wit. Come back soon. ET

• Eleanor!! Ive had a post in the works for about 2 months now – so sad! Looking forward to some time off over Christmas to do some posting and more importantly catch up on the postings of all my blogger friends! Thanks for your lovely comment, its always so great to hear from you! xx